PUENTE Learning Center is a place for learning, achievement and success. We are committed to making education and job training skills accessible to all. We offer classes for students ages 3 to 80+ including computer literacy, English as a Second Language, High School Diploma, and more. PUENTE operates an award-winning Preschool and Charter Kindergarten, afterschool and summer programs. We are proud to be part of the Boyle Heights neighborhood, a primarily immigrant community, having served over 95,000 students in our 34-year history.
At PUENTE, the Maintenance Worker I is a key position in ensuring that the facility runs smoothly. This role reports to the Facility Manager and will perform the upkeep of said outlined tasks and is responsible for and ensures that the facility is clean, functional, and free from hazards. The Maintenance Worker I will complete a variety of tasks in this environment, making each day unique and interesting. This position works with others on the Maintenance team to ensure that students, families, staff and visitors have an enjoyable experience while in our 43,000 square foot building that is situated on a two one-half acre lot.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Maintenance Worker I is responsible for and will have the general knowledge and understanding of basic plumbing, carpentry, electrical, HVAC systems and landscaping to ensure that the building, grounds and equipment are maintained, kept safe, clean and in proper working condition.
• Prioritize maintenance schedules to ensure all building systems and tasks are completed in a timely manner.
• Perform electrical repair work in wiring for switches, outlets, plugs, light fixtures, electrical floor boxes when needed.
• Identify plumbing problems, repairing and maintaining leaks, installing or replacing plumbing fixtures and clearing obstructions from drains.
• Clean gutters, bath basins and other drainage structures to prevent damage and/or limiting liability exposure.
• HVAC general maintenance, replace filters, wash coils, replace belts, thermostat adjustment, identify problems on a regular basis.
• Painting and drywall; patching, wall repair, painting Strip wax, polish and buff vinyl and tile floors
• Conduct regular inspections, trouble shoots and reports elevator malfunctions.
• Porter duties include general cleaning such as vacuuming, mopping, dusting, sweeping, cleaning windows, cleaning tables, chairs and various furniture
• Perform the regularly scheduled upkeep of the building’s carpet cleaning.
• Repairing various items such as; furniture, fences, playground equipment, walkways, door locks, windows
• Respond immediately to emergency situations that may occur; broken glass, clogged toilets, HVAC situations, broken pipes, for the purpose of resolving immediate safety concerns.
• Arrange furniture and equipment for the preparation of special events as needed
• Coordinate with security guards to support any security or safety situations
• Responsible for lawn care including mowing grass, trim hedges, shrubs, and trees and sweeping, raking, shoveling and removing debris by hand.
• Cleaning of sidewalks, parking lot and entryways to building using the blower or sweeping Weed and mulch landscape beds and planters
• Inspection and repair of the sprinklers system to ensure proper working order
• Ensure trash bin and storage shed area are neat and orderly
• Parking lot culvert/drains cleaned and maintained regularly
• Fences and gates are to be in good working order, repair and paint when necessary
JOB SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Three years of experience in maintenance work
• High school diploma or it’s equivalent
• Bilingual (English-Spanish) candidates are preferred.
• Attention to detail is a must.
• A lead staff person on the site’s emergency plan and building evacuation
• Ability to work in a physically demanding job that includes lifting up to 50 lbs., carrying, standing, pushing/pulling and frequent stooping
• Experienced with handling multiple types of heavy-duty maintenance equipment and machinery.
• Must be a self-motivated person
• Works independently with minimal supervision
• Effective in problem-solving and decision making
• Effective in prioritizing and coordinating projects and tasks
Hourly commensurate with experience.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume via email to Tesa Marquez, Administration and HR Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. Review of applications will begin immediately.