The Development and Communications Specialist is part of PUENTE’s Development team and will work directly with and report to the Vice President of Development to achieve the organization’s fundraising and communications goals. This position is part of a small development team and will be engaged in various segments of revenue generation, with a focus on the individual giving program, which includes strategic communications, direct mail, and other activities. In addition, the Development and Communications Specialist will have management responsibilities for the donor database, event planning, and the volunteer program. The role will serve as a liaison with donors and constituents to ensure that these stakeholders develop and maintain strong relationships with PUENTE.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Individual Giving and Constituent Engagement
Responsible for advancement communications, fulfillment of project budgets and timelines, and vendor coordination. This position will manage direct response activities that include seasonal direct mailings, bi-annual newsletters, bi-monthly email newsletters, online giving, and other tools.
• Donor Database
Responsible for managing receipting and gift acknowledgment, reports and filters, system updates, and accurate and timely record entry. The current donor database system is Donor Perfect Online.
• Event Planning
Responsible for project management, fulfillment of event budgets, securing sponsors, vendor coordination, and working with event committees. Current special events include the annual golf tournament as well as a new series of ongoing engagement events.
• Volunteer Program
This position will manage recruitment, orientation, engagement, recognition, and evaluation. Current volunteer opportunities include classroom assistance, special events, administrative support, and service groups (i.e., the Advisory Council).
The ideal candidate has a creative, entrepreneurial, and innovative approach to work. The ability to represent PUENTE Learning Center’s professionalism as well as strong and engaging communication skills (both written and verbal) is essential. Knowledge of any or all of PUENTE Learning Center’s funding priorities is beneficial. At a minimum, the role requires:
• Commitment to PUENTE’s mission and an overarching dedication to mission-driven work
• Dedicated to fostering a donor-centric culture of development that upholds the highest ethical standards
• Passionate about advocating for the mission and those being served by the organization
• Enthusiasm and positive attitude
• Experience in nonprofit sector and small, dynamic teams
• Experience planning and executing events of any size, with set metrics
• Knowledge of Los Angeles, its community organizations, and philanthropic groups
• A self-starter with a bias towards execution
• Ability to be flexible and open to new ideas
• Extensive collaboration with the development, administration, leadership, and executive teams
• Ability to function at peak in a fast-paced environment
• A sense of humor and positive attitude
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent work experience
• 3-5 years of professional experience in fundraising, with a track record in annual giving and/or communications
• Experience developing strategies and success in implementing action plans
• Proven ability to develop a compelling case for support
• Strong verbal and written skills
• Ability to develop and sustain positive relationships with donors and/or constituents
• Bilingual (English/Spanish, written and oral) skills are a plus, but not required
The salary will be commensurate with the candidate’s significant qualifications and experience.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume via email to Tesa Marquez, Administration and HR Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. Review of applications will begin immediately.